DR. DAVID GRANDIS
The Williamsburg Youth Orchestras, established in 1995 by local musicians and parents, gives area students the opportunity to play in a full orchestra. Thanks to support from arts commissions as well as private and corporate donations, WYO has expanded to include a string orchestra, a chamber music program and a Side-by-Side concert with the Symphony. The first Side-by-Side was presented in May 2013; the second took place on April 26, 2015, at 4 p.m., at the Ferguson Center in Newport News. (Photos by Paul Embley)
The WYO Symphony Orchestra remains the only full orchestral experience available to school-age musicians in the Williamsburg area. The WYO String Orchestras build ensemble musicianship and playing skills. These groups perform a minimum of three concerts together each season. To learn more about the WYO, visit www.wyomusic.org or contact Executive Director Tanya Song at email@example.com or (910) 200-9703.
Photo credit: Paul Embly
WYO Mission Statement
The mission of the Williamsburg Youth Orchestras is to help talented and motivated young musicians in the region develop their full potential as orchestra performers by providing them with the music education programs and performance opportunities that they need. To meet its mission, the WYO has the following goals:
- to bring together the finest young musicians from the area to rehearse and perform under the leadership of excellent conductors and section coaches;
- to further students' appreciation and understanding of music by rehearsing and performing different styles of classical and contemporary music;
- to support, extend, and enhance local school music programs, as well as to provide home school students with an opportunity to participate in an orchestra;
- to provide experience rehearsing and performing with different types of ensembles; and
- to develop a large and appreciative community audience for WYO concerts.
WYO Concert Calendar
The Williamsburg Youth Orchestras perform 3 concerts per year.
Fall Concert: Sunday, November 12; 4:00 pm
Winter Concert: Sunday, February 11; 4:00 pm
Side-by-Side with the Williamsburg Symphony Orchestra:
Sunday, April 29; 4:30 pm
All locations TBD. Check back for more updates!